Skateboarding video games are back and better than ever! Whether you want the combo-driven adrenaline rush of a Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater or the realism of EA’s skate., there is a game for anyone who wants to shred the gnar. While there are radical options you can play right now (like Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 1+2 and Session), there are a ton of skateboarding video games on the horizon. Here are a few you may want to keep your eyes on.

Helskate

Helskate is a wholly unique take on the skateboarding video game genre. In this action roguelite by Phantom Coast, you’ll destroy the monsters of Vertheim by powering up your attacks by skating. You can choose from a variety of weapons and gear, as well as upgrade your abilities after each run.

The unlikely melding of these genres is what draws me to Helskate the most. It is similar to why I was so interested in Metal: Hellsinger; I just need to see if this combination works. Admittedly, I am a bit skeptical. I could see this being a nightmare to control. However, previews have generally been positive and now have me interested. I need to know if this genuinely works because if it does, I’ll absolutely fall in love with it.

Helskate is currently in early access via Steam. A version 1.0 release has not been announced yet, but the developer has released a roadmap detailing what you can expect from its updates throughout 2024.

Ollifrog Toad Skater

If you are looking for a Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater clone, Ollifrog Toad Skater might be the one you’re looking for. Developed by Mr. Thee, Ollifrog Toad Skater allows you to skate and destroy several different skateable environments as a cute little frog guy.

Unlike the rest of the games featured here, I have actually played a slice of Ollifrog Toad Skater thanks to its demo on Steam. Out of the many Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater-esque games I have had the pleasure to play, this one is actually pretty good! My problems with it mostly have to do with level design and its points system. However, in terms of gameplay, it plays exactly as you think it would. With a little bit of polish, it could potentially be a great alternative to the Birdman’s beloved franchise.

Skate Story

I have been obsessed with this game since I saw the first bit of footage of it on Twitter years ago. To this day, Skate Story is not just a “skateboarding” video game I want to play; it is one of my most anticipated video games in general.

Published by Devolver Digital and developed by Sam Eng, Skate Story tasks you to skate through the Underworld to destroy demons and save tortured souls as a dude made of glass. To put it simply, it looks freaking rad.

There are many things to love about this game just by the little snippets and trailers that have been revealed. It has an intriguingly haunting vibe with its wild environmental design and chaotic camera work. However, the thing that interests me the most is its gameplay and physics. Despite its fantastical visuals, the actual skateboarding looks incredibly realistic compared to its skate. inspired counterparts. From the foot placement of the treflip, to the many stylish backside 180s, it actually looks more like a skate sim than EA’s upcoming skate. revival.

It’s awesome and I want to play it right now. Unfortunately, Skate Story doesn’t have a concrete date just yet. It is currently slated to be released this year.

skate.

The return of EA’s beloved skateboarding franchise is upon us and it feels so good… well hopefully it will feel good when it eventually launches. Like any free-to-play game as a service, I have my concerns with Full Circle’s skate. Will the game be supported properly? Will anything worthwhile be blocked behind a paywall? Will I have to pay real-life money to wear cropped Dickies and old skool Vans? These are all very important questions that need answering. However, if the gameplay is still as great as its predecessors, I have faith it will be great.

Skate. does not yet have a release date, but if you want to try it out, you can sign up to playtest the game.

What are some skateboarding video games you’re looking forward to? What are some of your favorites of all time? Sound off in the comments below.

Leave a comment